Saturday, March 5, 2011

Credit where credit is due.

I was just reading about our dear friend and her new grandson. She was giving the new mommy a night to regroup and it reminded me of when I was in that same place.

I was 34 and we had adopted our first child about two months earlier. Although I'm sure I am a wealth of information now, older doesn't necessarily make you wiser when it comes to first babies. I was totally afraid that I was going to break him or at least scar him emotionally so badly that he would soon be on Oprah talking about me. (Guess I don't have to worry about that now.) I had already lost my dad, so Hub invited my mother to come and live with us and thought it would be great so that I could go back to work and not worry about our son. So I was sleep deprived, back in a demanding job, had a new baby and now my mother that I had not lived with for 16 years was here. YIKES! This was a very nice theory, but also a recipe for disaster. My mother, trying not to interfere, became a guest in our home. That meant that she played and took care of the baby during the day and I did all the cooking, grocery shopping, wash and cleaning plus night duty with the baby. Truthfully, I probably would not have given up nights to anyone as I loved the quietness of a home in the middle of the night with a baby. Sweet, yet tiresome, times.

As many new parents discover, our relationship and couple time took an immediate back seat. Hub was travelling with his job a lot and was driving in on Saturday night. I was folding clothes when he called me about 8 pm and told me to pack a bag and be waiting on the sidewalk in front of the house at 9. I told him that the baby was already down and he said "Good. He's not going." I'm sure I gave him 48 reasons why I couldn't just up and leave and many more as to why I couldn't/wouldn't leave my baby. He would accept none of them. I went flying around making up bottles and giving Mother instructions in case the sky fell or something. Hub arrived. I had taken a quick shower and wasn't ready. He threw the things in a bag that I had already pulled out, including the shoes I intended to put on, took me by the hand and we left. I was barefoot. We drove to Carlsbad, NM which was about 2-1/2 hours away from where we were living and checked into a hotel with a bottle of champagne. After much needed coupling and sleep, I was feeling much better. We went down to breakfast in the hotel just giggling. They sat us next to a couple with a small baby. All we could do was watch the baby and miss our own. That's all we talked about. We were such "Parents". We did a quick tour of Carlsbad Caverns, bought a gift for Mother and drove home as fast as we could.

My mother thought that the whole thing was quite bazaar. She is less spontaneous than I am. She just didn't understand. She asked me "Does he do this often?" I said, "No....but I sure hope he does it again!"

Anyway, I had not thought this for a very long time but I thought I would share it as it seems like all I have done is poop about my Hub lately. He does do something right....... every once in awhile.

Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that your hubby was in tune enough to be able to tell you were on the edge and made the arrangements to give you a break!