Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I AM thankful after all. I just didn't know it.

The next time I start blogging about not being thankful, I hope someone will stop me. I am really being taught about thankfulness. Last week, a co-worker shared with me that she was divorcing her husband. I had suspected that something was going on, but waited for her to tell me. She has moved out, is in debt up to her neck, working with custody attorneys, and starting over after 17 years. Besides other things, she found out that hubby hadn't pay taxes for awhile so who knows where the end will be. We were just at their Halloween party at their over-the-top amazing home. You never know what people are going through.

Then Monday morning, a sweet, quiet father came in the office first thing and handed me an envelope. Actually I thought that it might be a Christmas card. I opened it to see the nice stationery of a local children's hospital asking to excuse his son from school. His 12 year-old son is in ICU and it stated that "his discharge was uncertain". He said that his son has bleeding in his brain that has been undetected since birth. It would keep bleeding until eventually, the boy would pass out and die. His history teacher passed by and said that he knew that the boy had not felt well for the past few days. That poor man stood there with frightened eyes and in less than perfect English asked for the prayers of the school. They are meeting with doctors to decide a course of action.

Today, one of our students was wheeled in by his father for a visit. This boy fell out of a tree. A thirty-foot fall! He had many broken bones including face, arm and leg. Evidently, this kid is quite a rascal, but how lucky is he to be alive? He was grinning and loving the story. Boys!!

OK So the moral of this story is that I AM thankful that I have an intact, "mostly functioning well" family. I am thankful that I have 2 healthy boys. I am thankful that I have the hope that this will be the last Christmas that we have to spend separated...until we have to share with the family of a daughter-in-law. I'm even thankful that I am in a place to have this hard lesson taught to me.

Don't ever say that you are not thankful! The lesson is not easy.

2 comments:

mom of 2 said...

Amen! Some of the kiddos in our class are going through some struggles of their own. Makes me thankful every day!! I'll keep that boy's family in my prayers!

Rox said...

I always say, one way to pick yourself up from the blues is to look around and realize that you have it better than so many others. The poor dad with the sick boy...Oy, that's heartbreak.