Friday, June 19, 2009

One of those days......

Wish I could say that I had been totally productive this week; but that would be such a lie. Hub has been out of town and I have wasted WAY too much time looking at real estate online. Give me a subject like that and I get so OCD. We probably won't even know if we are moving until July.

We are on one of those rolls where everything seems to happen at once. After last week, I thought we were good for awhile. My younger son has been running fever the last two nights. A little sluggish, but okay during the day and then yucky with a temp of 101.5 at night. I've done the old Tylenol/Motrin routine, but it really hasn't responded too much so I decided to take him to the doc on Friday. (He is SO dramatic when he is sick. I can't take it all weekend.)

Let me back up though. Thursday evening, I decided to jump in the car and go pick us up some fast food for dinner. No battery - no go. (Always happens when Hub is out of town.) My car only has 35,000 miles on it and we had to change the battery out last May. Think we have a problem? I got out the electric battery charger and started reading directions, then called Hub. (I can be such a GIRL!) I have a very healthy respect (fear) of plugging this thing in wrong and exploding the car. He just tells me to put red on red and black on black. Of course my battery doesn't have red or black. My son tells me to put the positive to the negative and vice versa. Glad I didn't listen to him! Anyway, finally sucked it up, held my breath, and turned it on. I am woman hear me roar!!! I had power and we had fast food! Tried the car again before I went to bed last night....nothing.

I woke up this morning at 5:30 and got up since I had a lot going on. Had a cup of coffee, checked out the newspaper, e-mailed the car dealership to tell them I would be there, put a load of towels in (now I'm rolling) and then brushed out my dog as he had an 8:30 grooming appointment. While brushing him I noticed that he had been chewing one of his paws. He had chewed the fur off in a spot and it looked infected. Yuck! Took my shower and dressed, woke up the boy and then went outside to get my trusty battery charger and conquer this demon once again. Then I realized that I had pulled the car too far up into the garage and I could not open the hood due to the vice sticking out on the workbench. I decided that I would put the car in neutral and try to rock it back a bit. Like right! I put the car in neutral and tried to start it one more time...and it started. (God looks after the ignorant.) Got my purse, the boy, the dog and ran out the door before my car died again. On the way to the groomer, I called the pediatrician and made an appointment for 9:45. The car dealership had no loaner cars, so I ended up having to call a car rental for a car for the day. Zoomed to the doc where they did strep and flu testing, but found nothing. Bring him back Monday if he's not better. As we left there, the groomer called for us to pick up. She found another place on the dog and said it looks like he is having an alergic reaction to something. Went from there to the vet where they could not get him in until tomorrow at 9:00. Came home and got a call about the car that they had replaced the battery again and needed my permission to do a few more things. Of course they did!

Oh well. Hub made it home safely; I now have my own car and the world is better. Especially after we stopped off for Mexican food and a really good maragrita on the way home. Ole'.

Later.

4 comments:

Rox said...

My Tazzy has a couple of hot spots too where he chews himself. I wonder if it's allergies?! He's a total rotgut, so who would ever think food would be his issue?!

It sounds like the alternator to me, not that I know anything about cars...haha! Or maybe you've gotten two dud batteries? It's hard to say. Don't stray far from home! :o)

Birdie said...

Our dog had weepy eyes and nibbled on her feet constantly. The vet said it was signs of systemic allergies: her food. Turns out she can't eat any brand available in stores. We put her on a dog food that has no corn or wheat, Diamond brand Premium Edge. The protein in it is so good that she eats only one cup a day. Her body processes almost all of it. And less food=less land mines. You can go to their website to find out where you can buy it locally. I highly recommend it.

Your week sounds a lot like mine. Everyone gone, though, and I enjoyed the silence amid the chaos of my schedule. Now everyone's back and the boy is recovering from wisdom tooth surgery.

Hmm. Mexican sounds good right now.

mom of 2 said...

Our dog does that to her paws, especially in the spring/summer. We just have to keep an eye on her and make her stop when we see her doing it and the spots usually go away. Our vet said the more they lick it the itchier it gets.

I think getting in your car to go somewhere and it not starting is one of the worst feelings! I'm glad you got it all worked out!

I got on the email list for the company who did the estate sale last weekend. I'll let you know if another one comes up!!

judith said...

I know nothing about dogs.... give it some benedryl.

Could be the alternator or the starter. Hate when my car could leave me stranded at any given moment.