Thursday, October 7, 2010

I talked to my friend.

I'm finally alone in my house for a few hours. Is that time really important to you, too? There has been someone, or many someones, here 24 hours a day for several days now. I just want a little time to do things in my order or way and not be interrupted. Not that the telephone doesn't ring and change plans. Not that I am not easily distracted with things like being at the computer right now. This is my "me time" and I'm finding it more and more important. I love my family, but I need to be alone with myself to have a conversation with myself. Sometimes even out loud, but that's another story.

Son #2 is O-fficially 13 years old now. It just sounds wrong to say "teen" at the end of his age. He is really proud of it and he has been busy reminding us that he is a teenager now and with that comes all sorts of new freedoms. Not always but he thinks it should. He invited 3 boys to spend the night last Friday. Only 1 could due to a non-custodial parent visit and the fact we're new and other parents don't know anything about us. I'm really good with that. I am more likely to agree to him going somewhere that I know the parents think that through. The one boy that could stay is living with his grandparents due to his mom's drug usage. He was very open about all of this and touched my heart. He kept saying that he wanted to stay here and that he had lived in the ghetto. He is a very charming, witty, funny kid. I'm sure he is covering up a lot. I hope he comes back often. We took them to a movie. We ended up having to see a more immature cartoon movie as one of the boys was not allowed to see PG-13 unless his parents were there. (Not surprisingly, it was the same boy that was not allowed to spend the night.) The boys were so funny at the movie. Hub and I laughed so hard at them. #2 was mortified when I told him that not only were we going to the same movie, but that we were going to sit in the back and make out. We did end up having to go to the same movie due to the time frame, but they sat in the back and we were told to sit up front where they could see us. They all seemed to have a great time. The next morning, we let #2 and his friend blow up the last of the 4th of July fireworks to celebrate his birthday. (Wouldn't you like to be our neighbor?) I think that the boy that couldn't spend the night will be allowed to next time. His mom chatted for about 30 minutes when she picked him up; asked if we would like to come to dinner sometime; called Sunday wanting to meet us for lunch but I didn't get the message in time, and her son has asked to spend the night this weekend and has also invited #2 to go with his family to the State Fair. I think we've been approved now. :)

I did had a totally high point this week. Rox and I had a marathon phone conversation on Tuesday. Don't worry about the world. We got all of the world's problems solved. You're very welcome. :) Rox, I TOTALLY enjoyed our visit. Thanks for calling and I want to do that again soon.

It is so easy to chat with a "intimate stranger" like a serious blog buddy. We've have only talked live one other time, but have so much more of an insight into each other due to blogs and e-mails. When I think about the fact that she, and some of you, know me so much more intimately than most of the people in my daily life, it just sounds a little strange. Not to sound like I'm not really, really grateful for these cherished friendships, it's just that I'm thinking about that fact. At this particular time, I don't have any close, close personal friends in my daily, reach-out-and-touch life. (Except for Hub, of course.) I move; they move, friendships tend to change. Would I have different relationships in my life if there was no "social network"? Anywho, this is just a strange little place that my mind wandered to today. Thanks for being my intimate, internet friends.

Big hugs to all.

Later.

5 comments:

rox said...

It was SO great to talk to you! I was telling Derwood all about how you said "I don't know how y'all handle all that snow!" He laughed. Probably because my Texas accent was shiteous, but whatever.

The world is a changing place! Frienships are made every day online, heck, that's how alot of people meet and fall in love nowadays too! You either roll with it and take the chances, or you stay holed up and never "meet" anyone, at least until you can make your way in your new life and meet some "Reach Out And Touch" people (ROATs? LOL!)

Ahhh, there's comfort to be had when 20 relative strangers know your pooping habits. LOL! TTYL!

THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

Now you wouldn't be making fun of my accent, would you Roxanne? :) Wouldn't be the first time. After living here for awhile, I will probably make fun of it myself. Glad I could entertain Derwood.

judith said...

So glad you had a better week and a long chat with Rox that's always great. And to think... we lived about 30 away from each other and never met at the mall. Regretful!

Birdie said...

I need that quiet time every single day, most of the day. I would shrink to nothing without it. But we still need friends, don't we.

I have good friends here, but not really anyone I can have a heart-to-heart with. She's down in Florida, and I see her once a year when we have an 8-hour conversation to catch up. She and I get closer and closer every year, being the "one" for each other that we can say anything to. The clincher? We didn't like each other at all in high school. Go figure.

Like you, I have online friends who know me better than just about any local friends. I'm okay with that.

Sounds like life is treating you well at this moment. I know you cherish those times. Good for you for recognizing and holding on to them.

THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

Jomamma - It is a shame that we never got to meet but never say never. I will be coming back that way. One day I'm going to call you and ask you to meet me for a cup of coffee on the way through. I would love to meet you.
Birdie - Time is a great equalizer when you are talking about high school friends. The coolest are not so cool anymore. And the nerds...well, we may be calling them boss now. A little confession: Sometimes when I see the gorgeous head cheerleaders that I would have given anything to be like back in high school, and now they are wearing the same big hairdo and look like crap....somewhere deep inside I am smiling. I'm bad. :)