Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm off to join the circus.

"Goodbye" she said. "I'm off to join the circus."
This is the cover graphic I added to my computer case. Like it? I found it a few months ago and thought it was totally me. It does make me smile.
I took my son to register for school yesterday. Is the summer break actually almost over? We have crammed so much into the last couple of months. What happened to the lazy days of summer. I sure could use one...or seven.
On another note, we went to see "Cowboys and Aliens" yesterday afternoon. I had really looked forward to it. With Indiana Jones and James Bond in it, how could it not be great? Disappointment. We went with several members of my son's youth group. Only the younger teens actually liked it. Great company; not so great flick. That's my review anyway.
So yesterday I wrote about a pretend (soap opera) life. Today, the ugly truth. #1 son had surgery on his hand. Really concerned about him and pain meds. He does need some, but he is an addict. Also, he is in need of money. He has been hitting us up and trying to play both of us. That's always fun. He got in his car the other night (that he doesn't have a license to drive due to two DUIs), ran over something, bent two rims and lost a tire. He got into a fight and messed up his splint/cast. He took it off himself. The doctor had told him how important it was to keep it still and not re-tear the ligament. The house that they rented is in a tough part of town. With his big mouth, things are not going to well there either. This past weekend emotions ran high. He had all kinds of plans running from moving to Minnesota to live with his birth-grandfather that he has spoken on the phone once with; calling a cousin and asking for a gun; looking for multiple AA meetings to go to; to going back to an employer who used him before and still owes him money, etc. The AA meetings was the only idea that was reasonable. I just hope his intentions are pure and that he will follow through.
I wrote that I was tagging along with hub on a business trip. We left last Sunday and had a nice trip. I accompanied him to a couple of opening sessions on Monday since I work for the same company. Then I went back to the room; took a nap and freshened up for dinner. Hub and another district manager took about 20 clients to a fabulous restaurant. Really different and really yummy! What a good day! Tuesday was to be "my day"; or so I thought. Started out great with sleeping in and then ordering room service breakfast. Leisurely got ready and scoped out on the internet as to where all I wanted to go. I've been having some real pain in my knee which I had been self-treating with ibuprophen. I noticed that it was a little worse as I was walking down to the elevators. It was close to time for Hub to be breaking for lunch, so I decided to wander down there to see how his presentations were going. On the way, something buckled in my knee and I could go no farther. I sat down at the nearest table as I could put no weight on my leg. Hub came out and he brought both of us lunch over to that table thinking it would get better. Oh and while I was there, I made the faux pas of asking a lady, who was going to sit down with us for lunch, to get me a water. Hub gave me a strange look and I later found out that she was the Senior Executive Vice President. Oops! She had just flown in for the day and I had never met her. Oh, well. She was kind. Anywho, I got to ride in a wheelchair back to the room (no drama) and asked Hub to take me to the hospital when he was through with his last session. I wasn't in pain unless I tried to move my leg or walk. The ER just put a leg immobilizer on me, gave me crutches and meds for swelling and pain. They told me to contact an ortho as soon as I returned. That night was suppose to be the big dinner and casino night. I had been looking forward to casino night. :( I had Wendy's in the car on the way to the hotel from the hospital. Instead of staying an extra day, we came home a day early. Saw an ortho; had a MRI on Friday; got results Monday and will see ortho again next Monday when he gets off vacation. MRI shows a torn meniscus, a cyst and arthritis. It is getting much better. I'm down to one crutch. Nurse said that this usually means surgery but we will see what the doc says. Hate to get so much better to go back. Hub says he doesn't want me to go to any more meetings with him. :( I had planned to go to New Orleans with him in November. Surely, he will forget before then.
Hub is out this week. Probably good for both of us. I have plenty to keep me busy and #2 is here again.
Guess it is time for me to put on my big girl panties and get on with things.
Later.

3 comments:

Rox said...

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear you're all banged up! How did you tear it, just walking? Or were you out playing softball or something. Haha! (The only reason I laugh is because I can't throw or catch a ball to save my soul.)

Anyway, text me or email me if you need a distraction and I'll call you.

Take precious care and remember, your #1 is an adult and he'll make his own way, even if it's not the way you'd choose for him. *sigh*

Birdie said...

Oh, honey, you don't need a soap opera. I hope and pray your good health returns without drama or pain!

It is so hard to sit and watch your children make mistakes. Perhaps if you limit your communication to once a week it will be less stressful--and hubby might not be so eager to "save" #1 son, although it appears he's doing much better. I'm proud of you for being able to detach and know it's a loving act. Not easy!

yellowdoggranny said...

You should have driven 17 miles down the road to West..would have bought you a skunk egg..I'm not sure but the Czech Bakery down town Waco might make them too..