Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Men and Football

I am really having a hard time feeding this blog. This "work" thing is eating up my time. I can't believe that I have to do it for five days EVERY week. :) The weather is fabulous. I would much rather be outside tooling around and pretending that I had a tractor like Rox....and had the land to warrant it....and knew how to drive it.....maybe I don't want one either. That's beginning to sound like work, too.

Our son's football is taking up a lot of our family time. He has practices twice a week and then games on Saturday. Watching the practice last night gave me lots of things to groove on. I'm watching twelve 10-year olds in full gear being coached by about 6 dads. The kids - they are just excited to put on all of this cool equipment. The dad - this is serious, serious business.

I really think it is so interesting to watch the posturing of men around other men when a sport is the issue. Watch them. They stand there with their manly poses: feet spread apart and their arms crossed like they are Mr. Clean or something. Then there are the serious looks and pulling up the pants. (Some adjusting, but that's a whole other subject.) Put a football in the hand of one of them. All of a sudden they have to pretend that they are throwing passes. You know , they cradle the ball in both hands,the arm goes back with the ball, they have the follow through, they turn and the hand comes down...still with the ball in it. They use this move like a punctuation mark. Either that are they want to look like the young men in the underwear ads of the Sear's catalog. Then there is the part where they all want to coach a little. Somehow every man has some innate theory that they know the RIGHT way to throw, catch, run, etc. If they are so good, why are they not on NFL teams and making extraordinarily big bucks?

The best part is when they play a game with the boys. These men are so excited to prove that they "still have it". Wonder how many of them are soaking a body part the next day.

I have spent almost 11 years with this child teaching him not to hit, push, knock down, steal, or be mean. Now dads are coming behind telling them to do all of these things. They are telling my baby to be an animal and always attack the ball. Knock down everyone out of their way to get to what they want.

Anyway, I just think that men can be really strange characters when it comes to sports. Can't live with.....can't kill them.

Later.

1 comment:

Rox said...

I think it's sad when the parents become so wrapped up in the athletics. You never see them that jazzed up about academics, do you? It's brutal.