Saturday, September 27, 2008

Office Politics and Lost Boys

My bubble is burst. It took a whole month, but I have seen the light. Our office/school is not void of office politics as I once thought it was. I can see where I am being courted by both sides as they are testing the waters to see where I stand. I'm not stupid. This isn't my first rodeo. But I am very happy sitting this one out, thank you very much.

You know men have joked for years about women not being able to get along. They do it as well only we don't seem to enjoy pointing it out nearly as much as they do us. It is such a cliche'. I hate being a cliche'. It's like when they portray Texans we always have cowboy hats and oil wells. I have neither for the record. Or if there is an eye witness to a tornado it's always a toothless person in an undershirt. Sorry, I got off track for a minute.

Anyway, the woman who is "trying to open my eyes" has so much true drama going on in her personal life that I have no idea why she is wasting her time with this junk. Birdie, I don't think this is the "woman who know what is really going on". She's just a busybody. It is just irritating. These are grown professional women. Who needs it!

Back to the real world....I was afraid Friday afternoon that I was witnessing a true nightmare. We were all trying to finish up and call it a day. The doors were locked but I had not turned off my outside cameras yet. A woman was banging on the door saying that her son hadn't come home from school. I let her in and then she went hysterical. He hadn't gotten off of the bus and school had been out for almost an hour. I asked if she had checked with his friends. She said he had no friends. I asked if he was in football, theatre, etc. She said no, nothing except for band. I called the band hall to see if he was there. The director said no and he thought that he had been absent that day. I check attendance and sure enough he had never come to school. The mom and the band director both said that this was a really good kid and this was not like him. Having had a rebellious kid myself, I asked her if they had had a disagreement or anything. First she said no and then she said that his grades were down and they had taken away TV privileges. Anyway, the police were called. His brother had stayed at their house in case he showed up and she kept on the phone with him. They found his backpack and instrument case there. I was really freaking out when the police told her to tell him to check the attic and their shed. You know 13 year old with absolutely no friends and lost privileges.... I was so scared that they would find him there. I asked her if he had a bike and it turned out that the bike was gone. Then they discovered that his horn was missing from the case. To make a long story short, he finally contacted his older brother who was on the way out of town to a high school football game. The woman and the police finally left and I'm left with the thought of a 13 year old friendless boy with a horn under his arm and riding a bicycle away from home. What a lonely picture. I'm sure he will have consequences to pay, but I also hope that someone wakes up to see that he needs help and guidance, too.

I'm going tomorrow to visit my lonely, lost boy......in prison.

Later.

3 comments:

Rox said...

You're wise to stay out of the office politics.

Does your school have a policy that if a child is absent the parents must call in and if they don't the school calls them? The schools my kids have gone to have that in place. It saves on the skipping. That poor kid.

I hope your visit with your son goes well. Peace to you.

Birdie said...

Oh, my heart goes out to both boys who are struggling. That thirteen-year-old sounds like my son, who has had difficulty keeping friends. He has learned some social skills, thank heaven, from the camp he attended.

You will do best to stay out of office politics. If you show you are a willing listener, you will be associated with the sturm und drang that those involved so enjoy. Best to show kind disinterest.

My best to your son, sweetheart.

mom of 2 said...

I'm getting a feeling for the politics where I am, too. I think it's true that women can't all get along for some reason...not sure why. I try to distance myself from all of it!! I don't like the cattiness and all of that crap!

That's sad about that boy. I hope his mom shows him a little compassion. I hope your visit with your son goes well! I think of him often. Any chance he'll be coming home soon?? I hope so!

I got to hold my nephew tonight. He is as sweet as he can be!! I cried a few tears for my SIL...she's been waiting so long for this. I also cried a few tears for the birthmom. I can't imagine her pain right now. He's a sweet baby, though! I'll send you a few pics soon.