Can I just say that I'm proud of me? You won't hear me say that too often, but right now I am. I just knocked some major names off of my Christmas list and it is not even Thanksgiving. Omaha Steaks....you are my friend. We have a lot of extended family and I use to spend way too much blood, sweat and tears over shopping, wrapping and mailing presents. It's nuts! I drive myself and everyone around me crazy. Anyway, I have decided on steaks and another company that makes the most fabulous brunch baskets....that the way I'm rolling. Pay just a little extra and they will make them beautifully Christmasy and send them on their way. Priceless!!!
I really have enjoyed this week. It was unseemly smooth. Even got some lower priority jobs done. Today is Friday. Yea! Next week will be a two-day work week. Bigger Yea! Yep, it was too good to be true. All of the crazies waited to come in today. Administration was in back-to-back meetings all afternoon. I had one lady who decided to have a sit-in in my office until she could talk to the principal. I kid you not. She had no appointment and refused to fill out any kind of paperwork to start a grievance. She was there for over four hours. Guess what she was upset over? Her daughter had been called out over a dress code violation. Her cute little precious had the shortest skirt on. Her hoo-ha was showing. I had to ask her to put her backpack in front of her while she sat in my office with her legs spread. Did I mention that this girl was 12? People can be so stupid. Why are we so surprised that most of the schools have to do special seminars on bullying? The parents are doing it every day. I've decided that I have quite a bit of job security. I don't think anyone wants my job.
Also, this week I was in on a meeting with administration and the guy that is head of security for the district. Well that was certainly sobering. This department falls under the Federal Homeland Security. I guess I am glad that there is such a well-researched, well-planned security process in place. Actually, it just makes me sad and question how did we get to this place in society. When I was a kid, if a child was walking home from school and accepted a ride, do you know what your mom would have asked first? "Did you say thank you?" Anyway, the responsibility of this job and the safety of over 1,000 children and adults does weigh on me sometimes. You just pray that there is never an opportunity to use your training.
I have to leave you with a funny story though. I had a student sent down by a substitute for a disciplinary referral. This is a 12 year old boy who is on a low level academically and much lower emotionally. He had a little meltdown in class, telling the teacher that he was nuts among other things. Anyway, he was sent down and because there was no one to handle a disciplinary, I just had him sit in my office until the period was over and then go on to his next class. Well, he was happy as a clam working on something in his notebook. I was impressed. Then he said that he needed some tape. Probably tore something in his exuberance. I turn around to work on something and when I turned back around he was not in his chair. I called for him and he sat back down looking like "the cat who swallowed the canary". Finally, I see it. He has made a sign saying what an amazing and sweet principal that we have and other niceties scrawled in a childlike handwriting. Then he taped it to the Principal's door. OMG. Actually it was probably pretty smart. If you are coming down on a disciplinary, might as well go out as a hero. These guys crack me up.
Well, time to get a little sleep. Another day of fun and games tomorrow.
Later.
No comments:
Post a Comment