Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Good News, Bad News, Good News

I can't believe it has been so long since I wrote a post. There has been so much going on. This is such a good place for me to connect and also put my own thoughts in order that I need to be more diligent about keeping it up.

Hub did get the job that he wanted and actually had his last day at work today. He is taking off a couple of days and will start Monday. He is really excited. That makes me happy, too and will take a little pressure off of us. We don't know where this adventure will lead us yet. The execs had all asked him about relocation, but we also heard that there are opportunities right here. Being the planner that I am, I will be glad when he gets further into this and can maybe where our future will be. He will be travelling quite a bit, but we used to be very familiar with that. (Love those airline miles.) He will be heading to St. Louis, MO for a few days the first week.

I did not get to make the trip to see my son that I mentioned on my last post. Hub went on and took our nephew with him to visit. My son and his cousin are really close so that was a treat for him. The only thing was that since the cousin is not immediate family, they had to have a non-contact visit. (Separated by glass.) That is one of those times when this reality really sets in. Anyway, we are planning to visit on Saturday and will be back on February 22 when they are FINALLY going to have a graduation ceremony. He hasn't had too many positive things going in awhile. Can't wait to share that with him.

The reason that I did not get to go last time was that our younger son got really sick. He had been at a sleepover on Friday night and they were playing hide-n-seek outside that night. He decided to hide in some tall ornamental grass. Good decision for an asthmatic. Anyway, he called me the next morning saying he was having a hard time breathing. I pulled out his nebulizer and started breathing treatments. He continued to have a hard time so we ended up Sunday spending half a day at an urgent care center. We were afraid that he was going into pneumonia but the chest xrays showed it was not that yet. He was diagnosed with acute asthmatic brochitis and started on steroids and antibiotics and kept up the breathing treatments every 4 hours. He still wasn't getting any better so Wednesday morning, we went to his pediatrician. His oxygen saturation on Sunday had been at about 90% when we got there and I knew several times that it had to have been lower by how pale he was. Anyway, it was about 93% on Wednesday and the doc said that usually they hospitalized at about 92 so he ended up sending us to the ER at the children's hospital for xrays and tests. That of course turned into another full day. It's a great hospital and it turned out to be a really busy day for them with a lot of waiting for us. Because of his breathing problems, we were put into a room where my son got his first taste of a hospital gown. (That is a whole other post.) They hooked him up to a constant oxygen monitor that really had me a little frightened. His levels flucuated between 90 and 93. I stepped out to get a drink and came back in to the respiratory therapist in there giving him another treatment. She said that she and the nurse ran in there when his numbers went down to 88%. Anyway, they got him back up to 100%, but when the treatment stopped it started going down again. The doc finally decided though that he was getting strong enough doses of the antibiotic and steroid and increased it and sent us home. He did finally seemed to turn around the next day and he was allowed to go back to school with restrictions on Friday. This was the first time he had been through a really bad bout of asthma. He usually takes a preventative and really only needs he rescue inhaler very rarely or when his mom makes him take it for sports. This one was really scarey. So he and I had a week off from school and then today they closed the schools due to ice. Just kind of makes me miss being a stay-at-home mom.....but I want my healthy child back.

I did have something else exciting this week. I got a new refrigerator. The last time I bought a frig was 15 years ago. My old Maytag was moved between 3 states and 6 houses and refused to quit. The plastic pieces were breaking inside and the light started hanging down and wouldn't go back up so enough is enough. It had served us well. We now have one of those shiny stainless steel jobs with the freezer on the bottom and two doors up top. The diamond of my kitchen!!!! I'm just a simple girl with simple tastes....

Need to run now. My son has talked Hub into going out to his favorite hamburger place for dinner. Works for me. No cooking!

Later.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

Ooh, new fridge. Ours is 26 years old and chugging along.

What a frightening time that had to be with your son. When our infant daughter had croup repeatedly, we spent many nights wondering if she would be able to breathe. She finally outgrew it.

So exciting about hubby's new job! At a time when we keep hearing about layoffs, it is a joy to hear good news.

Rox said...

I need to echo what Birdie said, it is nice to hear of someone getting a new job instead of a pink slip!

Watching someone who is unable to breathe is devastating. Pray that kid never takes up smoking!

I'm sorry you didn't get to see your oldest son, but it probably did him a world of good to see his cousin too. I can't wait until you are all together again!