I just heard Shania Twain say that the two most important questions of life are "Why?" and "Why not?". Not sure if they are THE most important, but I can identify with them anyway. Most of my conversations with myself are a bit of both and could fall into those two categories. Why does/should/did this happen to me/them/you? Why shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't/didn't this happen to me/them/you? Why do I/you do/say/think that? Why do I not do/say/think that? I need to adjust that to "I choose" to let/make/accept this to happen or "I choose not" to do the same. No big news flash here. We have all been told this. "Take your power back! " Books, magazines, preachers, counselors, friends have put that out there for years. There is one part to this that seems to be missing. How do you do that? I mean, how do you REALLY do that? How do you get others to agree and cooperate so that you can "take your power back"? As powerful as it sounds, some things you just can't "take".
"If you get, give. If you learn, teach." Words that stand alone from Maya Angelo. I love her wisdom and her gift for expressing it.
Sarah Ferguson talks about getting in the way of her own healing. (How many times have I done that myself? Can you say "my own worst enemy"?)
"At the end of the day, this is our story." Lisa Ling's words. What I need to hear is: At the end of the day, it is my story and I am responsible for it.
So bottom line is that these are a few things that made me go "hm-m-m-m" today as I think about the coming year. I just really want to make it count.
Happy New Year!
Later.
2 comments:
I've been told that I could teach college classes in the whole "Taking Your Power Back" thing. I think it would involve alot of Finger Wagging and a shit load of four letter words. =)
As we get older, we learn better how to take care of our Selves. Some of us are born with this survival instinct and some are not but ALL can be taught how to put ourselves first and become our own #1. Oprah should give ME a show. LOL!
I'd travel to Chicago to see Rox on Oprah. Really. :D
She's got the right idea about taking control.
You asked about how to get others to agree and cooperate so you can get your power back. You can't. You can't make anyone do anything; you control only what YOU do. Why do you need others to agree and allow? They like it the way it is. Why should they change? If you are not happy, you are responsible for changing things until you are.
Please don't wait for others to act before you decide to make things right for yourself. Change your expectations or your circumstances rather than submit to sorrow. Don't expect everyone to like it—that's their problem, not yours—and don't apologize for doing what's right for you.
This means that things will change for others in your life too, but that's the price of growth. They'll adapt, as you have done for far too long. It will change you AFTER you act; you will not change and then act. I have done this. It is worth every doubt and sleepless night for the thrill of following your true path.
You go, girl.
Post a Comment