The Help.
Have you read it? Have you seen
the movie? Did you love both? I certainly did. It’s now one of my favorite movies.
Movies set in the 60’s are so fun for me. Not exactly the Beach Blanket Bingo types,
although they are fun, too. I love to
see the ones that show the inside of the homes and the popular things of the
time. I was a little girl then. It’s
fun to go back and remember things of childhood. How things looked; what we did; what we ate,
how we entertained. Looking at the set from The Help, I saw things that
were in my parent’s home. Familiar
things: metal TV trays with flowers
painted on them, black & white televisions, cat-eyed eyeglasses with
rhinestones. I never had glasses back
then but boy did I want them.
I was also very aware of all the cigarette smoking in the
movie. Back then, it was an accepted
thing. There were ashtrays
everywhere. We had some in our
house. My dad smoked a pipe but he was
the only one that lived in our house that smoked. People would come over and never think
anything about lighting up. I remember
cleaning the ashtrays afterwards and thinking how much they smelled, but we
would have never asked someone not to light up.
That was the way it was at the time.
It was an accepted thing in homes and at work. We didn’t make special place for them to
smoke; we put ashtrays all over so that it would be convenient for them. We were more concerned about ashes on the
floor and furniture. News reporters
always smoked. It made them look more
serious and smart. (We thought.) Beautiful girls in gowns and in clubs always
smoked and sometimes had a long cigarette holder. It made them look sophisticated and
sexy. (We thought.)
The Help also brought to the forefront, and sometimes
uncovered, the relationships of households and “their help”. It is probably good for us to be reminded of
how far we have come. In every society,
there have been injustices that will be or have been corrected as we become
more sensitive and aware of the issues. Lots
of sympathetic tears were shed as we watched characters that we got to know and
appreciate be treated as lesser human beings.
I cried. Me, a Southerner that
grew up with a wonderful lady coming into our home a few days a week to “help”. Did she raise me? No.
Did we build her a separate toilet?
No way. I presumed she used the
only one in our home. I don’t know. Never thought about it. Did I love her? Yes.
She was a fun, happy person with a great smile who was in my life. I followed her around and was reminded many,
many times by my mother to stay out of her way.
Did I consider her our maid, housekeeper, help, lesser person? She was Callie. Just Callie. She came to my house and I loved her. We also had a black man that worked at my
daddy’s business for many years. He was
actually a very respected pastor in the largest colored church in the
area. My dad and he talked “Bible” all
the time. They were good friends with a
mutual respect. Still, they were on
different paths.
My point is to just put out there a little
disclaimer about the movie. While the behavior
of the families depicted was appalling and inexcusable, some of these
relationships were “just the way it was”. My parents would never treat anyone that way
no matter their job and would have totally punished me if I had. Still, it was an accepted fact then
that black men and women generally worked for white people. Sadly, these were the roles we were put in
just by the color of our skin. I
remember “colored” restrooms and “colored” water fountains. Blacks were directed to them just as we would
direct people to the men’s room or ladies’ room. As a white girl, I never thought about that
they couldn’t use our facilities. It was
just that the other was theirs. The
thing is that generally, and as far I knew, most black people accepted that as
theirs, too. Black children had to
question why things were separate, but for the most part, they were taught just
like the white kids, that they just were.
I can’t imagine how they felt.
Still, we were operating in total ignorance. One generation teaches the next until it is
finally questioned and change happens.
That generation wasn’t made up of bad people; just black and white people
both acting and living by the guidelines of that time.
So, read the book and go see the movie. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It’s an important story told very well. Although a fictional story, similar things really
did happen and were really, really wrong.
But just as in our ignorance about smoking and its effect, know that for the most part, this was the accepted
standard that was in place at the time.
We should have all had the
questioning of “Skeeter” in us and the bravery of “Aibileen”.
2 comments:
Ah! Having just read this (and having JUST talked about this with you) I was excited to get the text about this post!
Can you just imagine the strength of someone like Rosa Parks or Medgar Egers for standing up during that (very volatile)time?! Like all trailblazers, you just wonder what special gift they have.
I can't wait to see the movie, especially since I loved the book so much! And your post totally made me cry because you're so right...when you know better, you do better.
Nicely put Rox. I haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, but I will.
I remember the 60s. Dad smoked cigs and then a pipe and then ended up chewing tobacco after he had his heart attack. We had the biggest box of ash trays in the garage, they sold like hotcakes at the estate sale, all because they were from the 60s. I like looking for 'things' that we may have had back then too. Like doilies on the tables and waxed hard wood floors.
My mom refused to have any help, she insisted on doing it all herself. But my Aunt Mary (a teacher) had a lady that came in once a week to clean. Her name was Oleeta. My cousin always had to clean her bedroom and the front bathroom the day before Oleeta came. Aunt Mary didn't want Oleeta to think that they were nasty or anything.
I don't recall Oleeta ever using the restroom at Aunt Mary's house while she was there working. I'll have to ask my cousin if she did. I do know that Oleeta came to Aunt Mary's funeral. She was a very sweet lady and I would like to think that she just thought of Aunt Mary as her employer.
Post a Comment