Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanks, Oprah!

Two posts in two days!  Haven't done that in awhile. 

I actually want to use this as kind of a "note to self" because I want to remember what I just heard.  I saw a bit of a show one Sunday morning and set it to record.  I just now turned it on today.  I already know that I need to watch it again to digest it all.  The show is called "Super Soul Sunday" and it is hosted by who else but Oprah Winfrey.  That woman is STILL teaching me lessons.  Thanks, Oprah!

This show has been filled with so many nuggets of wisdom that I want to remember and use to make decisions, comfort myself, live by, etc.

  •  The first thing that reached out and grabbed me was that you can't "un-happen" things.  I think that somewhere deep down inside myself that I look for the troubles that we deal with to somehow "un-happen".  Maybe if I wait to deal with this, then I will find out that I don't need to.  It will "un-happen".  FAIL.  Not going to happen.  It's still here and still needs to be handled in some way.  Give up the hope that the past will be different.   Don't live in the space of "if only that hadn't happened."
  • There was the analogy used of a picture of what you thought that your life would be hanging on the wall.  It falls down and breaks in a million pieces.  You sit there and look at it and know that it will never put itself back together.  But you can put the picture back together.  It will be a different picture but it can be a good picture.  You just have to put it together yourself. 
  • Look for the message in every problem.  Don't fight the problem.  Every problem teaches a message.
  • Pay attention to "life".   It's speaking to you all the time.
  • Create what you want instead of be stuck on what you don't have.
  • "You can accept or reject the way you are treated by other people.  But until you heal the wounds of your past, you will continue to bleed.  You can bandage the bleeding with food, with alcohol, with drugs, with work, with cigarettes, with sex, but eventually, it will ooze through and stain your life.  You must find the strength to open the wound, stick your hand inside, pull out the core of the pain, the memory, and make peace with it?  Make peace with the past."
  • When you hold onto the pain, it goes from being baggage to being monogrammed luggage.
  • Under the anger is the hurt; and under the hurt is the love.
  • Your life is like a rosebud.  We have to "break open" in order to blossom to the beautiful flower that we are intended to be. 
  • It is not that we are unhappy because of what we are not getting.  We are unhappy because of what we are not giving.
  • When we are in intense pain, we must go forward well.  We are the only models that our children have as to how to deal with pain.  We are their teachers.
  • When you look at life through the lens of gratitude, you don't see as many obstacles or hindrances.  You see potential and possibilities.   Then you are an open vehicle for spirituality
Later.

3 comments:

Rox said...

Yeah, I've been catching myself watching the occasional Oprah thing. What's wrong with me?! LOL!!

It's true. Once you mourn and deal with the things you cannot change, you can move on. It's the aching pain of the process that freaks people out though.

Heh heh my word verification is bellyclu. LOL!

mom of 2 said...

About your last post...I am sorry and saddened to hear that #1 chose to run. I can't blame him for not wanting to go back. I just hate that he having to even face that possibility!

LOVE the Oprah truisms...accept or reject the way others treat you. That is a very large thought in a small statement. Love it! Thanks for sharing!!

Birdie said...

This is all great stuff, but I especially love the closing line about gratitude. It sounds trite and fluffy, but gratitude brings an effusive joy to life. Even in dark times, we can be grateful for so much. And it brings me closer to God and to my fellow man, so I'm a practitioner of gratitude as much as possible.