Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A TWO-HANKY LOVE STORY

I have to tell you about the most amazing love story. No...it's not mine. It's about a couple who lived in Kansas City and went to the same church that we did. I can't say that I really knew them well. We did some things together as part of a big group but that was it. Britt was a big hunk of a sweet man that seem to be a guy that every one wanted to be around. He was married to tall, beautiful Jane and they happily had twins. (I'm trying to guess but I think the twinS would now be 12-14.) Well, they seemed to have it all as perfect families went. And they always were busy in the church work with the kids, teaching classes, all that good stuff. They were doing "life" right.

A few years ago, Britt was diagnosed with colon cancer. He put up a serious fight and after many, many months (and all the good stuff that comes with chemo and radiation), prayers were answered and he started feeling better.

In less that a year, Jane started not to feel well. After many tests back and forth she to got that dreaded diagnosis. She had a tumor in her lung. She started her treatment,really had trouble tolerating it, and had to be hospitalized several times.

Then this past April, Britt went for his 3 month check-up and they found that the cancer had metastasised to his lungs. So now they both are on chemo. Remember they still have young twin boys to raise.

Jane has declined really fast and was sent to a hospice unit about 10 days ago. Britt is lovingly by her side as she still seems like she has things to do. She thanks everyone who come in to help and shows them her love. She always asks who is behind her in the bed. Must be the angels. I've heard that said other times toward the end.

But Jane was very healthy and her body is hanging on. Britt has been keeping a internet journal to let everyone know what is happening that day. It is the most beautiful loving story about sharing her to the end and the amazing things that are coming from this. Their faith is so very strong. Britt writes this so very beautifully. My heart breaks for him. What a treasure this will be for the boys later.

Anyway, this journal has really touched me in such quite a profound way. I zoom to it each day and wonder if this will be the day that Jane goes to be with the Lord. We have been so very depressed over here with everything and his words do make me look back at more important things and helps me get past myself and our troubles.

Here's the link. More beautiful words were never written about a wife.
http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewJournal.do?method=executeInit


Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh oh, I don't know if I can read that. When someone says one or two hanky, for ME it's ten or twenty. I have Big Heart Leaky Eye Syndrome.