What a week! What a weekend! My little boy turned 11 yesterday. Where did my baby go? He was just here! He had a (non)sleepover Friday night. (That was really appropriate since I had spent all Friday night 11 years ago awake waiting for him to be born at 4:30 a.m. Saturday.) He had the typical sleepover with lots of fun, giggling, silly story telling, and a nerf dart war in the dark with flashlights. That is his latest passion and I have even been attacked by darts while I have been sitting here writing. I would say he had some fun.
Last night, the birthday boy had a football game and he got to play it in the high school stadium. That was pretty special! A stadium that seats 10,000 with about 200 parents "filling" it. Anyway, it was fun for them with the cool announcer and he got to run out in the middle of the field as captain and call the coin in the air. His best friend and his family came to watch so he had his own cheering section. His team lost by one touchdown, but they had a great time. It's all good.
He came in last week and said "Hey Mom, I have a date to the Halloween dance." WHAT????? He did this once before in the 2nd grade when some smart girl told him that he was her date to the 50's dance/carnival at school. I turned around to see her and her poodle skirt taking him by the hand into the crowd on the dance floor. The next thing I saw was him on stage with her dancing the jitter bug. And me without a camera. Who knew that the music teacher had been teaching them how to do that. But this day I was really a little thrown off. Every year he gets closer to the time of big heartbreaks, embaressing moments and hopefully, in the end, finding his partner in life. And just maybe I will be ready for it.......when he 35. Right now though it is just a reminder of things to come. The hugs and kisses will slow down for a while and the "I hate you" may even come out. I won't be his "best girl" anymore. He has been such a blessing and I just hate to see each stage of it move into the next one. I know this is what is suppose to happen but I really enjoy this kid.
I have been reading the blog of the sis-in-law of a friend of mine. They have been waiting for a baby through adoption. Their sweet son was born last week and they have just brought him home. This has so brought back all of the emotions of that time. You are so happy, grateful, vulnerable, scared, and excited at one time. It is pure adreniline. You cannot believe that you are holding this little one who has already been born in your heart. It is such a dream come true. There is also the little nag in the back of your head that this can't be real and someone will be coming to pick him up. Then there is also the self-doubt that you have to prove yourself fit to parent since this child did not come out of your own body. As if a working uterus somehow gives parenting knowledge. Then there is also the sadness you feel for the birthfamily. Some girl's hormonal heart is breaking. We were lucky enough to have had the opportunity to get to know and love our birthmom. The night we brought our son home, I rocked and cried for her. He was so perfect. I knew she must miss him. I also felt the full responsiblity to do well with this most wonderful gift.
Anyway, I am thankful for my son and I pray for the girl who will someday win his heart. Sometimes you just are blessed. Blessed with a little boy who shoots nerf darts at you because he loves you.
4 comments:
A girl is a daughter
Until she becomes a wife
A son is a son
For the rest of his life.
Or something like that.
Great post!
Emily has told of people "asking out" other people in their grade. As much as I know it is coming, we will not be condoning it just yet! Get the book "Preparing Your Son for Every Man's Battle". My hubby just got through reading the one for daughters...they are wonderful books! The dating will start soon enough, but it doesn't have to start too soon!!
Thanks for the wonderful post. It brought tears to my eyes. I so long for the days when I bring my little one home and celebrate life's milestones.
Boy, I can tell you that giving birth does NOT give you parenting skills. The day I brought home my daughter I didn't have a CLUE what to do. (Not that it's gotten any clearer over time, either.)
Love is where you find it. Give that boy of yours a hug. After you return fire.
Post a Comment