Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Still a dizzy blonde.

I'm a working woman again. Having a bit more routine is good but tiring. I really thought that things would be a little smoother without the students. Silly girl!

It's been good to see everyone and also to see how many teachers are pregnant this year. Last year, I believe we had 7 babies. So far this year, we have 5 pregnant teachers including one who is having twins. All those years that I tried to get pregnant and who knew that all I had to do was become a teacher. (No cards and letters please. Just kidding.)

One thing I had not counted on was a new immunization schedule that so many parents have ignored until now. The local clinics are out of one of the vaccines and without it, students will not be allowed to start school. Automated calls have been going out and I have been fielding calls ALL day from upset parents who say this was the first that they knew about it. Of course there were several letters sent out LAST YEAR; signs on the entrances LAST YEAR; notices on the websites since LAST YEAR; articles in the newspapers since LAST YEAR, and it is now all over the TV. Now we get to personally call each family that has a student in non-compliance and remind them that their student will not be allowed to start school without the vaccines. Good luck in finding it! What a mess! I feel more sorry for the students that will be dropped off on Monday and told that they need to call their parents for a ride back home. The kids always feel so guilty and embarrassed themselves. This is one of those situations when I wish I worked in a back office and could hide.

I'm still having issues with vertigo. Thursday I had the "procedure" done which went off really pretty smoothly. I was not to lie down for 48 hours afterwards. I was a good girl....for most of that time. I slept in a recliner that night and early the next evening we left to see our son. We pulled into the hotel at 1 a.m. I had every intention of sleeping in the lounge chair, but when I looked at it... Anyway, I was really tired and decided that 36 hours had to be enough. I was delighted when I was not dizzy. Saturday night, I actually realized that I was looking up at the stars. Slowly, the dizziness is returning. I'm mad at myself and have to call the doc this week for a follow up. She had said up front that it sometimes takes two treatments, but I feel like I brought it on myself. Anyway, at least I have seen that it can work. That's a very good thing!

Later.

2 comments:

judith said...

Right there with ya babe! We've been sending them packing off to the clinics since last Friday. To night is meet the teacher night I'm sure we'll be bombarded.

If you still have vertigo after the next treatment, you should try chiropractic or acupuncture. Hey Acupuncture has been around for thousands of years... it works. The needles don't even hurt, promise. Hubby is a huge wennie and he did it.

Birdie said...

I am so glad finally to leave all the "shots" business behind. At Ben's charter school, I had to fill out ONE sheet of paper for registration and give them one check for book and lab fees. We're done! It's almost like the good old days.