Friday, July 18, 2008

PETS - GOTTA LOVE 'EM


Well Here I go sharing a little more of my life now. These are two of the many bosses that I have around my house. Sometimes they are the easiest to please and live with; sometimes not. Our cat, Sassy, always makes me think she knows something I don't. She has had a really good life at our house for the last 13 years. Still doesn't come to anyone when you call her and then only if she wants to. She can and will make a dog several times her size stop dead in their tracks. She does like to sit in the lap of whoever is in a particular chair in my house and then she makes herself quite comfortable. Her wishes are made known very clearly with a whine, hiss or a flick of a tail. She wasn't named Sassy for nothing. Sleeping probably 20 hours a day is her job and she takes it seriously. Yep, I think I could be a cat.

Then there is Brighton. Brighton was suppose to be my dog. I'm the one who decided I wanted a shih tzu, looked for breeders, picked him out, wrote the check, and then my husband has taken him over. He even calls him something else. (I think that is just plain rude!!!!) I have always said that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, that I want to come back as my husband's dog. He does make sure that Brighton has a sweet life. This dog gets more love and attention than anyone. He talks baby-talk to him. Can you imagine? Anyway, all this dog does for the good of the nation is bring in the newspaper. Other than that and looking cute, his only other claim to fame is licking. Which he can be a pest with.

Which brings me on to my point -- I did have one -- why do we put so much time, love and attention into pets that could be directed at two-legged members of our family? I'm there with the best of them. I've always had pets and always will. But somehow this came to my mind today. Much of my day was spent doing something as a direct result of animals that we choose to love. I spent much of my morning coaxing a bird down to my shoulder from a high ledge where he had flown to escape my son and his friend. Then of course I feel the need to settle it by talking and whistling, giving it a little shower etc. Then Brighton had an accident on the stairs because we were too busy to notice that he needed to go outside until his eyes turned yellow. So when spray and paper towels didn't do the job, out came the steam cleaner and once you get it ready to do a step you might as well do the whole staircase, and then you might as well do the den, etc, etc. At least my carpets downstairs are clean. These were just a couple of unplanned time-consumers not counting the daily brushings, eye drops,feedings, pooper scooping the yard, letting the dogs out, letting the dogs out, letting the dogs out. It just seems with all that goes on in life that pets sometimes get more than their fair share. Why do we feel such a strong need to take care of these furbabies and a longing for their love?

Anyway, that is just one more pointless thing to ponder from my feeble brain. For a smile though, watch this clip we found on "you-tube" today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hT018rpBs&feature=related<

Nuff said.

Later

1 comment:

Rox said...

Because they don't leave you for college, that's why.