Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Red-Letter Day




















I told you that I would post a house pic sometime. I guess this is the time. Y'all come see me!


Today is a red-letter kind of day. I got three rejection letters from three different jobs. Shoot! They were even the impersonal, automated, generic letters that e-mail out. Doesn't really surprise me. With school jobs, you have to know someone. Fact of life. I know that. Every mom wants to work in the school for the school schedule. Me, too! But then, if you're lucky, you realize there is something greater than that. Making a difference in a child's life. Many times it comes in really unexpected ways. For some kids, school is the only place they feel safe. Letting them know that someone who doesn't have to love them (i.e. parent) sees them for themselves and likes them ........priceless. Maybe by next year I will "know someone". I really find it rewarding and will miss it.


Now I need to find something else to do that doesn't cramp my style. Whatever that may be. :) Last school year check will be at the end of this month. Hub likes me working. Part of me does, too. The other part...not so much.


We got all of our Friday the 13th repairs made. Plumbing - $300. Lawnmower - hub knew how to fix. Yea, Hub! Car :( Luckily the engine wasn't blown as Hub thought it might be. The A/C was blowing a fuse that was stopping the engine. New A/C - $1200. Hub wants to just get it back here and make a decision whether to pour more money in. They replaced the fuse and got it running again without an air conditioner for $100. Now if we can just get it home. I know I won't be driving it.

Our older son is still in Texas. :( He was suppose to be back Monday. I was afraid that this would happen if he got that close to where we use to live. Hub and I even made a bet on it on whether he would come back on time. (Hub still lives in denial.) After the car problem, that couldn't happen but they did get the car ready yesterday afternoon. His cousin drove him over last night and they spent the night at his sister's. He left there early this morning. I have been so concerned all day because he wouldn't answer our calls or texts and had not shown up. As a mom, I had visions of him in a ditch. But it turns out that he decided to check in on old friends. Very dangerous for him. He finally called late this afternoon when we tricked him with another phone and he didn't recognize the number. He's decided to stay over until Thursday. He says that he really wants to go to church Wednesday night. I would love for that to be the case. My radar tells me that it is a convenient excuse. Oh, and guess what. Hub believes it. Of course, he does. Actually I think he chooses the path of less resistance. So until our son gets back, if he comes back, we have one car. I told him that he better hope that Hub doesn't report the car stolen.

Okay, so back to being grateful, hmmm...

  • We entertained Sunday night for the first time in this home. Good company, good food, good time.
  • Since we had people coming over, a lot of little details got taken care of. YEA!
  • Younger son and I got all of his school supplies today. Check that off of the list.
  • School starts here on Thursday, but I don't have to start a new job. Maybe I'm just a little grateful for that.


Later.








1 comment:

rox said...

Beautiful house! I can only imagine how awesome it looks inside. Wow!

Keep plugging away at the job scene. I'm grateful that Derwood could care less if I work, I'd hate to feel that pressure of having to find something.

The kid. Oh my. Sounds like some laws need to be laid down...be strong.